Thursday, January 26, 2012

I Need a Time Machine

I can be pretty sentimental.  I think I inherited that trait from my Father.  It can cause problems at times.  For example, I saw the Muppet Movie while it was in theaters...twice.  Once with Contessa, my middle child, and then with Belle, my oldest daughter.  When I watched Kermit singing "Pictures in My Head" I was absolutely taken back to something that my dad would say.  "Take a picture in your mind so you will always remember this moment".  Huge tears starting streaming down my checks.  I was so glad the theater was dark.  I absolutely hate crying in front of people.  Not only is it embarrassing if I do it for any sort of prolonged time I get puffy eyelids.  It is never fun to explain why it looks like I'm having an allergic reaction.  "Hey..what's wrong with your eyes...are you okay".  How do you respond to that..."Oh you know, I was just crying because Kermit the Frog ...well he..was...singing....sniff".  Sounds a tad bit silly!

It got even worse when the whole gang sang "Rainbow Connection".  Oh, how I love that song.  I am such a sap.  Not only does it have this heart-warming message it was as song I remember my dad singing.  Again, I just started crying.  My daughters would look over at me with this look.  My oldest was probably beyond embarrassed.  It is tough enough to be 12.  It is only worse when your mom is having a breakdown at the Muppet movie.  Belle may not have any chance of having any sort of normal social life with me as her mother.

I have always loved the Muppets, my whole family did when we were growing up.  My dad did great Kermit impressions. When I feel so overly touched about things that remind me of my childhood I wish I had a time machine.  I wish I could hop in, hold on tight, and go back to my own little bedroom when I was a little girl.  To see those peach walls again, the yellow checked curtains, and the brown carpet.  To hear my mom rocking out to Flashdance upstairs while making her home made spaghetti.  To have my father read "The Visit" to me in his soothing voice.  To play Monopoly with my little brother for hours and hours on end.  To be able to visit with my older sister and hear her secrets. 

I would have to come back at just the right moment, because there were some really rough ones and my childhood was anything but perfect.  I know there are some really warm ones though and sometimes I just want to escape there, for just an hour or two.  Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

Post a Comment